The evolution of television changed the world tremendously, and for me, TiVo did the exact same thing.  Recording devices allow for more people to view a television show that they otherwise could have missed out on.  Which also means that the day after gossip about what happened on last nights TV was THAT much better.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion right? And when it comes to the TV shows you love, you could have a heated discussion with your best friends on why you’re right and they’re wrong, right?  Wait… am I the only one who’s gone that far? Well anyway, what does it really mean to criticize anyway?  Technically criticism is pointing out the faults in others.  However, when it comes to criticizing TV not only will I point out the faults, but I will also praise the graces.  However, I hope that you understand that I am just one person with my own opinions and it’s up to you to agree or disagree.  In this first post I will hopefully draw viewers in by getting my personality and view somewhat understood.  Like O’Donnell (2007) states, “we all use television to relax. We laugh at the comedies and watch crimes get solved” (xiii). For me, television is a form of escape. Imagining how I would act in the multiple situations that arise, or how closely my life seems to relate to what is happening on a particular show. But that’s the beauty of it, everyone somehow relates to television.  In this post I want to further go into my goals for doing TV criticism, explain my view of television as an object of study, and how I hope to keep you coming back for more.

            My goal for television criticism is not to primarily rip apart shows that I think have no purpose for being on TV… cough cough Rock of Love. Like I previously said, I want to praise the graces that I see on television, because yes I do often find myself addicted to Greek, Project Runway, and the typical Grey’s Anatomy.  Sillars and Gronbeck (2001) claim, “a communication critic makes an argument that describes, interprets, or evaluates the message to which people are exposed… criticism is a kind of discourse—a sustained message—that someone offers to someone else” (5).  I plan to do just that, describe what happened in a particular episode, give my interpretation, and judge the message that was given.


TV is one of the largest forms of media that influence people.  I find the business aspect of television to be so manipulative.  Everything is strategically mapped out minute by minute—even including commercial advertisements.  Overall I think I have a very transparent view towards criticism, but Butler’s (2002) argument on polysemy needs to be noted.  I strongly agree with the idea that television has multiple meanings to multiple people.  I could be watching the same show as someone and not notice the dimming of lights or the change of song that took place, but it could really affect how someone else viewed that specific scene. The critical-cultural view (Sillars and Gronbeck 2001) makes me question what does a specific show teach its audience, or how does a show have an influence on the way people act or feel?  How does simply watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days every time I’m feeling heart broken make me feel that much better?  How did watching Saved by the Bell make me want to have floral pants and wear my hair just like Kelly Kapowski? Some answers I will never know, but the fact of the matter is, is that TV has a larger power over people than I would have ever assumed.

            

I may never understand why someone would think it would be a good idea to put Rock of Love or Tila Tequila (the embarrassing thing is that I have seen both of these shows) on TV, but the fact of the matter is, is that they’re on TV for everyone to view.  But that’s my opinion, now it’s time for you to give me yours.  I plan to go over shows that I love and hate trying to point out good and bad in everything—because everyone knows, nothings perfect. J

 

References

Butler, J. (2002). Television: Critical Methods and Applications (2nd ed). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

O’Donnell, V. (2007). Television Criticism. New York: Sage.

Sillars, M. O. and Gronbeck, B. E. (2001). Communication Criticism: Rhetoric, Social Codes, Cultural Studies. Prospect Heights, IL: Waveland Press.

0 comments: